I am an associate professor in the Department of Information Systems at City University of Hong Kong. I received my Doctoral degree in Business Administration from the Department of Management Information Systems, Terry College of Business, University of Georgia.
My primary research area can be broadly described as the impact of information environments (e.g., social media) on individual judgment and decision-making (e.g., online consumer choice) and on interpersonal interactions (e.g., the interactions among online consumers). I am also interested in the use of information technology in healthcare.
The theoretical foundations of my research primarily draw from the Psychology and Economics program (a.k.a. Behavioral Economics) including behavioral decision theory and behavioral game theory. The research methods used in my research have a strong focus on credible causal inference, including running randomized experiments in both the lab and the field and identifying natural experiments from observational data.
- Systems Analysis and Design
- Social Media Applications
- Business Analytics
|Journal Publications and Reviews
- Karahanna, Elena; Chen, Adela; Liu, Qianqian Ben; Serrano, Christina / Capitalizing on Health Information Technology to Enable Digital Advantage in U.S. Hospitals. March 2019; In: MIS Quarterly: Management Information Systems. Vol. 43, No. 1, pp. 113-140
- LIU, Ben; Liu, Xiaoxiao; Guo, Xitong / The Effects of Participating in Physician-Driven Online Health Community in Managing Chronic Disease: Evidence from Two Natural Experiments. February 2019; In: MIS Quarterly: Management Information Systems.
- Liu, Qianqian Ben; Karahanna, Elena / The dark side of reviews: The swaying effects of online product reviews on attribute preference construction. June 2017; In: MIS Quarterly: Management Information Systems. Vol. 41, No. 2, pp. 427-448
- Karahanna, Elena; Williams, Clay K; Polites, Greta L; LIU, Ben; Seligman, Larry / Uncertainty Avoidance and Consumer Perceptions of Global e-Commerce Sites: A Multi-Level Model. October 2013; In: Drake Management Review. Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 12 - 47
- Liu, Ben Q.; Goodhue, Dale L. / Two worlds of trust for potential e-commerce users: Humans as cognitive misers. December 2012; In: Information Systems Research. Vol. 23, No. 4, pp. 1246-1262
- Liu, Qianqian (Ben); Karahanna, Elena; Watson, Richard T. / Unveiling user-generated content: Designing websites to best present customer reviews. May 2011; In: Business Horizons. Vol. 54, No. 3, pp. 231-240
- Dong, Xiaoying; Liu, Qianqian; Yin, Dezhi / Business Performance, Business Strategy, and Information System Strategic Alignment: An Empirical Study on Chinese Firms. June 2008; In: Tsinghua Science and Technology. Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 348-354
- Dong, Xiaoying; Jiang, Guihuang; Liu, Qianqian / Knowledge management increases innovation capability of enterprises: An empirical study. June 2006; In: Qinghua Daxue Xuebao/Journal of Tsinghua University. Vol. 46, No. SUPPL., pp. 956-963
|Chapters, Conference Papers, Creative and Literary Works
- Liu, Xiaoxiao; Liu, Qianqian Ben; Guo, Xitong / Patients' use of social media improves doctor-patient relationship and patient wellbeing: Evidence from a natural experiment in China. December 2016; 2016 International Conference on Information Systems, ICIS 2016.
- Yu, Yan; Wang, Chuanqi; Luo, Keyi; Liu, Ben / Mixing Consumers' Rationality and Sociality: Effects of Product Quantity and Popularity Information on Online Shopping. June 2016; Proceeding of the 20th Pacific Asia Conference on Information Systems (PACIS 2016).
- Liu, Qianqian; Karahanna, Elena / An agent-based modeling analysis of helpful vote on online product reviews. March 2015; Proceedings of the Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences. Vol. 2015-March, pp. 1585-1595
- Liu, Ben Q.; Goodhue, Dale L. / An exploration of the hygiene and motivator aspects of WebQual constructs in predicting website reuse. 2008; Proceedings of the Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences.
- Yin, Dezhi; Qiu, Lingyun; Dong, Xiaoying; Li, Dong; Liu, Qianqian / Using blogs to enhance management education: An empirical study. 2007; PACIS 2007 - 11th Pacific Asia Conference on Information Systems: Managing Diversity in Digital Enterprises.