Assurance of Learning
Access to CB’s Assurance of Learning Online System:
The Assurance of Learning system is at the heart of the programme quality assurance mechanisms at the College of Business of CityU. It emphasizes continued programme improvement through regular measurement of student learning outcomes and various feedback systems, as well as through external benchmarking.
Our approaches to the implementation of Assurance of Learning (AoL) at CB include:
- Establishment of an AoL committee, consisting of the College management team as well as members from each of the departments, to spearhead our AoL efforts.
- Careful definition of the set of Intended Learning Outcomes for each academic programme to ensure measurability and full understanding from students, faculty and all stakeholders of the expected student achievement through completion of the programme.
- Institutionalization of a college policy of collecting evidence of student achievement of learning goals.
- Identification of assessment opportunities to collect meaningful measurements that drives continuous curriculum improvement.
- Reengineering of processes to make assurance of learning intrinsic in our regular quality assurance system.
- Regular training and timely dissemination of AoL information to faculty and staff to ensure smooth and comprehensive adoption.
To facilitate the College and individual programme leaders to keep and maintain AoL measurements, an AoL online system has been developed with the help of CB's Information Technology Services Unit. In brief, the system provides the following functions:
- Sharing of AoL templates and documents such as CB's Five Year Assessment Plan, guidelines and arrangements related to the implementation of AoL in CB;
- Facilitate programme leaders to input their programme assessment plan;
- Facilitate programme leaders and course leaders to submit the completed AoL reports and related supporting documents (such as course assessment rubrics, sample student work, and question paper concerned) for central keeping;
- Facilitate sharing of AoL reports/documents among individual programme teams for continuous curriculum improvement.
Programme leaders, course leaders and administrators may access the AoL Online System through the following weblink: http://www.cb.cityu.edu.hk/generaloffice/aol/
For more information on AoL, please contact:
Prof Robert M Davison, Assistant Dean (Assurance of Learning)