Programme Aims and Objectives
The Management Information Systems Stream aims to train students in the core domains of business and cutting-edge information systems that underpin the contemporary information society, so that graduates can excel in careers with professional positions that require both advanced business knowledge and IT-enabled problem solving skills.
The MIS Stream is offered to applicants with a non-IT background and focuses on developing their competence in evaluating cutting-edge IT, coordinating IT-enabled business initiatives, and managing the operation of business information systems, so as to meet the business needs of organizations.
Applicants must satisfy the following to be eligible for admission:
- hold a recognized Bachelor's degree in any subjects, preferably not in Information Systems or Computer Science related discipline, from one of the tertiary education institutions in Hong Kong funded by the University Grant Committee (UGC), or equivalent
Applicants whose entrance qualification is obtained from an institution where the medium of instruction is NOT English should also fulfill the following minimum English proficiency requirement:
- a score of 59 (revised paper-delivered test)^ or 79 (Internet-based test) in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)@#; or
- an overall band score of 6.5 in International English Language Testing System (IELTS)@; or
- a score 450 in the new College English Test (CET6) of Chinese mainland; or
- other equivalent qualifications.
^ Effective from 11 April 2021, the TOEFL revised paper-delivered test is no longer offered.
@TOEFL and IELTS scores are considered valid for two years. Applicants are required to provide their English test results obtained within the two years preceding the commencement of the University's application period.
# Applicants are required to arrange with the Educational Testing Service (ETS) to send their TOEFL results directly to the University. The TOEFL institution code for CityU is 3401.
In view of the recent development of COVID-19, ‘TOEFL iBT Home Edition’ and ‘IELTS Indicator’, as indicated below, are accepted as equivalent qualifications for the fulfillment of the University’s minimum English proficiency requirement for admission to TPg programmes until further notice:
- TOEFL iBT Home Edition: a score of 79; or
- IELTS Indicator: an overall band score of 6.5
Fellowship awards are available for local students admitted to this programme under the Fellowships Scheme supported by the HKSAR Government. This programme in the priority area of “STEM” is one of the targeted programmes listed under the Fellowships Scheme with 3 fellowship awards (shared with the Financial and Intelligent Technology Stream). Local students admitted to the programme in full-time, part-time or combined study mode may be invited to submit applications for the fellowships.
Core Courses (15 credits within the group)
- Analytical Programming with Python
- Database Management Systems
- Foundations of Information and Electronic Business Systems
- JAVA Programming for Business Applications
- Project Management and Quality Assurance
- System Analysis and Design
Electives (15 credits)
- Data Visualization
- Information Systems Infrastructure and Security Management
- Information Systems Planning and Strategy
- Information Technology Based Business Transformation
- Knowledge Management
- Management Support and Business Intelligence Systems
- Blockchain Technology and Business Applications
- Business Data Analytics
- Corporate Finance
- eBusiness System Integration
- Enterprise Architecture
- Financial and Management Accounting
- Human-Computer Interaction and Multimedia
- Information Systems Project
- Information Technology Leadership Forum
- Innovation and Technology Entrepreneurship
- Internet and World-Wide Web Application Development
- Outsourcing and Offshoring Management
- Students may also take one elective course offered by the departments within the College of Business including Accountancy, Economics and Finance, Information Systems, Management, Management Sciences, and Marketing as approved by the Programme Leader
Outstanding local applicants will be offered with a scholarship.
Continuing Education Fund# (CEF): Some courses offered in this programme are eligible for the application of a subsidy from the CEF, subject to conditions stipulated by the CEF.
#CEF is only applicable to Hong Kong residents.