Programme Aims and Objectives
The programme aims to provide aspiring managers, from private and public sectors, a professional education in which they learn to create new knowledge so that their managerial competence and skills can be elevated, to enable them to achieve their better career goals and to benefit society. Upon successful completion of the programme, students should be able to:
- acquire relevant business knowledge and practical management skills
- synthesize interdisciplinary knowledge and develop problem-solving capability
- build strong leadership with effective communication skills
- demonstrate awareness of the importance of embedding sustainability/ESG and ethics into business practice
When evaluating an application, we consider various factors (including academic achievements, professional experiences, and personal accomplishments) from a holistic perspective. An applicant must have:
- a bachelor’s degree from a recognized university, or equivalent;
- relevant work experience*; and
- an acceptable GMAT score or the equivalent, subject to the approval of the MBA Programme Director. (GMAT institution codes: 54Q-QT-88 (full-time) or 54Q-QT-22 (part-time))
All shortlisted applicants are required to attend an interview.
Note: Fresh graduates and those with less than three years of work experience will enrol in the MBA full-time programme. Some applicants may be recommended to take the Concentration Curriculum, especially those without sufficient work experience.
Applicants whose entrance qualification is obtained from an institution where the medium of instruction is NOT English should also fulfill the following minimum English proficiency requirement:
- a score of 59 (revised paper-delivered test)^ or 79 (Internet-based test) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)@#; or
- an overall band score of 6.5 in International English Language Testing System (IELTS)@; or
- a score 450 in the new College English Test (CET6) of Chinese mainland; or
- other equivalent qualifications.
^ Effective from 11 April 2021, the TOEFL revised paper-delivered test is no longer offered.
@TOEFL and IELTS scores are considered valid for two years. Applicants are required to provide their English test results obtained within the two years preceding the commencement of the University's application period.
# Applicants are required to arrange with the Educational Testing Service (ETS) to send their TOEFL results directly to the University. The TOEFL institution code for CityU is 3401.
In view of the recent development of COVID-19, ‘TOEFL iBT Home Edition’ and ‘IELTS Indicator’, as indicated below, are accepted as equivalent qualifications for the fulfillment of the University’s minimum English proficiency requirement for admission to TPg programmes until further notice:
- TOEFL iBT Home Edition: a score of 79; or
- IELTS Indicator: an overall band score of 6.5
Students may study a General MBA (40 credits) or MBA Concentration (one concentration: 49 credits; double concentrations: 58 credits) in Accounting, Digital Marketing, Financial Technology, Information Management and Data Analytics, Supply Chain Analytics.
An accelerated path to Juris Doctor (JD) is offered to MBA students who wish to gain knowledge in business and law to reach unique career opportunities.
For details about the programme, please visit our website: https://mba.cb.cityu.edu.hk/
- The Professional Forum (also known as SHARP Forum) is a thought-provoking platform where thriving business executives, prominent government officials, prestigious scholars, inspiring entrepreneurs, influential celebrities, and renowned experts are invited to:
- Spread inciting ideas, insightful perspectives, and inspirational experiences;
- Stretch boundaries of novel concepts, evolving issues, and cutting-edge solutions.
- The programme offers leadership and experiential learning courses (i.e. Entrepreneurship and Venture Plan Development, Global Brand Management Workshop; and MBA Enterprise Diagnostic R-Trip) for students to gain practical experience through action learning with a global emphasis.
- The Industry On-site Workshop allows participants to learn from the operational frameworks of other industries.
- The MBA Career Services provides a wide range of services including career advising, events and workshops, mentoring activities, networking opportunities and other resources to help participants in refining your career goals and navigating the recruitment process.