Why Department of Management Sciences?
Management Sciences is concerned with developing and applying models, concepts, and tools that enable organizations and companies to master big data and achieve operational efficiency. These skills are in high demand in today’s highly competitive business environment for better problem solving and decision making.
When students are admitted to the Department of Management Sciences Programme (options: BBA Business Decision Analytics, BBA Global Operations Management), they will study general BBA courses (Introduction to Financial Accounting, Business Statistics, Operations Management, Management, Micro-Economics, Information Management, Marketing) and Gateway Education courses (such as English Language) in the first year.
At the end of the first year, students will be invited to choose either BBA Business Decision Analytics or BBA Global Operations Management major through a major allocation exercise.
Please click here for Programme Brochure.
Why BBA Business Decision Analytics?
The BBA Business Decision Analytics (BDAN) programme aims to develop students’ qualitative and quantitative ability to solve business problems and make decisions through DEEP data analysis. It provides a comprehensive training in business analytics, statistics, business intelligence, risk management, marketing analysis, business knowledge and communication skills.
- 學習如何利用SAS, SPSS, Excel VBA and Python 等工具管理及分析龐大企業數據
Why BBA Global Operations Management?
The BBA Global Operations Management (GOM) programme aims to equip students with the knowledge and skills to tackle the operational challenges of contemporary managers. Students learn to identify operations improvement opportunities for companies, propose and implement improvement solutions, and present their findings and results to senior executives.
Why BBA Business Decision Analytics / BBA Global Operations Management at CityU College of Business?
- BBA Business Decision Analytics programme offers you:
- Learn business analytics, statistics, business intelligence, risk management, and information management skills
- Learn how to manage and analyse huge volume of business data using SAS, SPSS, Excel VBA and Python
- Flexibilities of choosing streams from Decision Analytics (DAN), and Data Informatics (DI)
- Flexibilities to take a double major in BBA Business Economics, BBA Finance, BBA Information Management (Business Intelligence), BBA Management (Human Resource Management), and BBA Marketing
- Opportunity to apply for admission to the Joint Bachelor's Degree Program between City University of Hong Kong and Columbia University* (http://gs.columbia.edu/cityu-hk/)
- BBA Global Operations Management programme offers you:
- Learn how to design and optimize business processes
- Learn the efficient and effective use of resources, including people, money, time and other resources
- Prepare you to start career as management trainee, operations manager, operations analyst, project manager
- College of Business is among the top four business schools in Asia (https://www.cb.cityu.edu.hk/About-the-College/Accreditation-and-Rankings/International-Rankings)
- Entrance scholarships up to HK$265,000 are available for elite students (https://www.cb.cityu.edu.hk/Programmes/Undergraduate-Programmes/Scholarships)
- Overseas exchange and summer programmes are available in over 200 partner universities around the globe! (https://www.cb.cityu.edu.hk/ug/admissions/exchange)
- Over 80% of students secure local and global internship opportunities in areas including banking, accounting, IT and consulting.
BBA BDAN graduates are prepared for statistical, analytical and managerial positions in financial, commercial and government sectors.
BBA GOM graduates are prepared for careers as management trainees, operations managers, operations analysts, project managers, etc. They typically begin in areas such as consulting, financial operations, health care operations, procurement and sourcing, retail management and supply chain management.
Admission Arrangements for JUPAS Applicants
JUPAS applicants will be considered for admission to first-year studies at the Department of Management Sciences. Students will enter a major (current major options: Business Decision Analytics; Global Operations Management) after one year of study. The top 40% of students# will have a free choice of majors offered by the Department. The other 60% of students will be allocated a major within the Department, subject to the availability of places and the selection criteria set by individual majors.
# based on the CGPA with no failed grades and completion of at least 30 credit units including College/Department required courses
Entrance Requirements for JUPAS Applicants
|JUPAS Catalogue No. and Title||
Minimum Level Required
|Eng. Lang.||Chi. Lang.||Mathematics||Liberal Studies||
Department of Management Sciences (options: BBA Business Decision Analytics, BBA Global Operations Management)
|Level 3||Level 3||Level 3||Level 2||Level 3||Level 3|
- Mathematics extended modules (M1/M2) and “other languages” (at grade E or above) can be used to meet the elective requirement. If students take both M1 and M2, they are counted as one subject only.
- Applied Learning subjects are not counted as elective subjects.
- For details of the alternative Chinese Language qualifications acceptable by the University for Non-Chinese Speaking (NCS) students, please visit http://www.admo.cityu.edu.hk/jupas/entreq/bd.
For details, please visit: https://www.cb.cityu.edu.hk/ug/admissions/apply/requirements
Summer Internship Programme
Many of our students are able to find summer internship, either by themselves or through our referral, in various industries. Below are some sharing from the students:
Fred Chan (Intern in DBS Bank)
Hello, I am Fred. I have worked in the Development Bank of Singapore (DBS) since August 2013. My main duty is to analyse products and produce accurate reports.
How can I find this internship?
The department already has a long-term relationship with DBS, and cooperates with DBS to set up this internship programme every year. If DBS has an internship vacancy, they will contact the Department, and students will then be invited to take part in the programme. The main selection criteria are previous working experience and academic performance (e.g., SAS and VBA).
How does the knowledge learned in the major fit my job?
The knowledge I gained is highly related to my job. In the daily analysis, I mainly use SAS and Excel VBA programming to handle and analyse large amount of data. Those programming skills are our competitive advantage. I also learnt a lot about data mining tools and different statistical models in my major. This is very useful for analysing different structures and types of data in my job.
How can I effectively study a Business Analysis major if I did not study M1, M2, Pure Mathematics and Computer subjects in my secondary school?
I thought the same thing before I studied managerial statistics. In my secondary school I was a science student but I only studied Biology, Chemistry and Physics, which only provide simple Mathematics knowledge. The fact is, there are different statistics and programming subjects in Business Analysis, but don’t worry! We don’t need to know every Mathematics procedure and proof. These subjects mainly focus on application and concepts, so if you try your best you can study and learn very well!
Venita Ho (Intern in Standard Chartered Bank and Hang Seng Bank)
Hello, I am Venita. In the past two years, I have completed two internships, at the Standard Chartered and Hang Seng Banks.
Intern in Standard Chartered Bank
I made the decision to apply for an internship at the Standard Chartered Bank, and although at first I was only responsible for data input, I soon got the opportunity to do data analysis using Excel.
Intern in Hang Seng Bank
I was offered an internship at Hang Seng Bank through our department in January this year. After learning SAS programming in the last semester, I wanted to gain more experience by working in banking companies. I have met new friends during my internship period, and it is interesting that most of them are also MST graduates. This proves that these banking companies are likely to offer jobs to students from our programme. I am certain that our courses provide us with practical skills that will help us in our future careers.
Please visit the following websites for the detailed curriculum:
(Note: The catalogue for the 2022 cohort is for reference only. The 2023 catalogue will be published around July 2023.)
Students are able to obtain internationally recognised professional qualifications including:
- SAS Base Programmer Certification
- SAS Advanced Programmer Certification
- SAS Predictive Modeler Certification
- The Financial Risk Manager (FRM)
Co-curricular Activities and Learning Support
Overseas Summer Programmes
Students may participate in English immersion courses, which include components such as volunteer placements, homestays and cultural activities in Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the USA. Service Learning participants also provide voluntary services in less developed areas such as the Philippines, Thailand, Mongolia, Sri Lanka and Laos.
Young Scholars Programme
To nurture BBA students to become outstanding future leaders in the region/world, our Young Scholars Programme offers the following:
- overseas exposure during semester breaks, including study trips to renowned companies and universities;
- internship placements in multinational companies to be arranged locally or overseas;
- networking with top business students admitted locally and overseas;
- professional mentorships provided by professors and professional practitioners; and
- cultivation of social responsibility through community services and voluntary work.
Department of Management Sciences
College of Business
Undergraduate Catalogue (The catalogue for the 2022 cohort is for reference only. The 2023 catalogue will be published around July 2023.)
CityU Scholarships for Hong Kong Talents
CityU Talents Programme