Programme Aims and Objectives
This programme aims to provide accounting or finance major graduates an opportunity to enhance their skills by developing an expertise in international accounting as well as further understanding in Hong Kong accounting and related arena of knowledge. Students will be provided with specialised knowledge in international and Hong Kong accounting as well as related fields of information management, international business and investment so that graduates can make a significant contribution to the functioning and development of their employing organizations – particularly organizations such as multinational enterprises, joint ventures, Hong Kong companies and government agencies engaged in foreign trade and investment, and Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or consulting firms with multinational corporate clients and networks.
- hold an accounting or finance degree from a recognised university; or
- hold an equivalent qualification acceptable to CityU; and
- preferably possess 2 years of experience in accounting or business disciplines.
Applicants whose entrance qualification is obtained from an institution where the medium of instruction is NOT English should also fulfill the following minimum English proficiency requirement:
- Score 550 (paper-based test) or 59 (revised paper-delivered test) or 79 (Internet-based test) in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL); or
- Overall band score of 6.5 in International English Language Testing System (IELTS); or
- Score 450 in the new College English Test (CET6) of Chinese mainland; or
- Other equivalent qualifications.
Core Courses (21 credit units)
Students are required to take the following 7 core courses (3 credit units each).
- Accounting Information Systems
- Advanced International Financial Accounting
- Advanced Taxation
- Corporate Governance
- International Financial Management
- International Financial Statement Analysis
- Management Accounting Issues in Multinational Enterprises
Electives (9 credit units)
Students are also required to take 3 courses (3 credit units each) from the programme elective courses listed below or the consortium courses offered by the servicing Departments under CB.
- Business Management for Accountants
- Economics for Business
- Law Relating to Business and Companies
- Quantitative Decision Making Techniques
Note: The course list is subject to change during the academic year.
To be eligible for the module exemptions granted to this programme, students are required to take certain prescribed elective courses, depending on the previous studies and need of the student.
Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants (HKICPA)
This programme is an accredited programme by the HKICPA. Graduates of the programme are required to pass the subjects as indicated in the approved curriculum (refer to the website at https://www.cb.cityu.edu.hk/ac/programmes/postgraduateAndRD/) in order to qualify for exemption of the relevant Associate Modules of the new Qualification Programme (QP).
Only those students who have studied and passed in the subjects with substantial coverage relevant to Modules of the Associate Level of the new QP and completed the academic qualification(s) within the last five years are eligible for exemption of the Modules concerned*. The final decision rests with the HKICPA.
To learn more about the new QP, you may wish to refer to the Position Paper of the new QP, which was released in January 2017 (link appended below):
* The exemption is subject to fulfilling the requirements of HKICPA.
Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA)
This programme is also recognized by the ACCA for a possible maximum exemption of 5 papers* from its professional examination scheme.
*The exemption list is subject to periodic review by the ACCA.
Subject to funding and annual approval, admitted applicants are automatically considered for three types of scholarships (hence, no separate application is necessary):
- AC Entrance Scholarships
- AC Academic Excellence Scholarships
- AC Internship Awards
For details, please visit AC web site at http://www.cityu.edu.hk/ac under programmes & courses.