Department of Management
The Department concentrates on providing professional business knowledge, skills and competence that are grounded in the latest research. Our aim is to provide students with the professional skills necessary for job success, as well as the interpersonal and analytical skills necessary for developing a successful career.
The Department offers Bachelor's degrees in Business Administration of Management (BBAMGMT) in two areas:
- Human Resources Management (HRM)
- Strategy and International Management (SIM)
These are professional degrees aimed at preparing students for entry-level professional positions. In addition, we offer four minors that give students in other disciplines an opportunity to develop managerial skills.
Why BBA Management
The BBA Management Programme aims to equip students with the abilities and tools to successfully manage people and teams within an organisation and manage the organisation itself, in both local and international environments. Students of this programme will acquire the knowledge to meet management challenges including decision making, leading and motivating people, leading organisational change and strategising and implementing business decisions locally and internationally. The major offers a choice of two distinctive streams: Human Resources Management (HRM) and Strategy and International Management (SIM).
HRM Stream: The HRM stream is designed for students who wish to pursue a career as an in-house specialist or outside consultants in the human resource management area.
SIM Stream: This stream is designed to equip students with the knowledge and skills to develop effective strategies to manage in the international business environment, particularly in the Asia Pacific Region.
Why BBA Management at CityU College of Business?
- The BBA Management programme offers you:
- the skills to manage people and teams successfully;
- the skills to initiate and manage startup companies;
- the knowledge to lead business and implement business decisions in different countries, e.g. the Greater Bay Area, Australia, Japan, Korea, the USA, Canada and the UK; and
- professional recognition by the Hong Kong Institute of Human Resource Management (HKIHRM).
- College of Business is one of the top four business schools in Asia (https://www.cb.cityu.edu.hk/aboutus/recognition/rankings/)
- Entrance scholarships up to HK$265,000 are available for elite students (https://www.cb.cityu.edu.hk/ug/admissions/apply/scholarships)
- Overseas exchange and summer programmes are available in over 200 partner universities around the globe! (https://www.cb.cityu.edu.hk/ug/admissions/exchange)
- Over 80% of students secure local and global internship opportunities in areas including banking, accounting, IT and consulting.
Employers of our graduates in 2020 include well known organisations such as Ernst and Young, HK Jockey Club, HSBC, Hutchison Telcom, PwC, Shanghai Commercial Bank, Bank of China, China Mobile, and Zurich Services (HK) Ltd. Job positions our recent graduates work in include management trainees, graduate trainees, business analysts, human resource assistants and project officers.
Entrance Requirements for JUPAS Applicants
|JUPAS Catalogue No. and Title||
Minimum Level Required
|Eng. Lang.||Chi. Lang.||Mathematics||Liberal Studies||
|Level 3||Level 3||Level 3||Level 2||Level 3||Level 3|
- Besides Category A elective subjects, Mathematics extended modules (M1/M2) and “other languages” (at grade E or above) can also be used to meet the elective requirement. If students take both M1 and M2, they are counted as one subject only.
- Applied Learning subjects are not counted as elective subjects.
- For details of the alternative Chinese Language qualifications acceptable by the University for Non-Chinese Speaking (NCS) students, please visit https://www.admo.cityu.edu.hk/jupas/entreq/bd.
For details, please visit: https://www.cb.cityu.edu.hk/ug/admissions/apply/requirements
Summer Internship Programme
Participation in the summer internship programme helps our students to develop and strengthen their business and work skills through practical work experience with organisations in Hong Kong. These experiences help to enhance our students' competitiveness in the job market, and increase their qualifications for employment upon graduation. Since the summer of 2016, the MGT Summer Internship programme has been a major elective credit-bearing course for MGT undergraduate students. In other words, students can gain working experience and college credits at the same time. Internship companies include:
To learn more, please visit: https://www.cb.cityu.edu.hk/mgt/student_development/internship.
Our HRM stream graduates are qualified to apply for Associate Membership of the Hong Kong Institute of Human Resource Management (HKIHRM).
International and Local Accreditation
Human resources personnel are a change agent in an organisation. We work in collaboration with business leaders and propose recommendations on business effectiveness based on our professional HR knowledge and understanding of the changing external market. The BBA (HRM) programme has not only provided me with comprehensive foundation in various business disciplines but has also equipped me with the crucial skills and social awareness in dealing with people from different levels and nationalities. My study here has been a valuable starting point for my career and personal growth.
Kalinda Wong | Associate, People, National Australia Bank
Business knowledge is undoubtedly crucial for a job in the business sector. I would say that social communication skills are important for a successful career, especially when we have to work as a team. The BBA Programme in the Department of Management provided me with professional knowledge and helped me develop a keen business sense. It also gave me the opportunity chance to develop my interpersonal skills through a series of activities. What I gained from the Department of Management is practical and relevant to my workplace.
Karl Chan | Deputy Manager of Japanese Corporate Department | Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UF
If I had to do it again, I would definitely make the same decision and study in the Human Resources Management Programme at City University of Hong Kong. It is not only the place where I learned to be an HR professional but also where I grew up. The Department of Management provides a dynamic undergraduate curriculum grounded in human resources management that is complemented by distinctive personal and career development programmes. We learned how to be effective and efficient managers. In addition, I felt that there was always a friendly relationship among students and professors. I am thankful for the support and encouragement from our professors, lectures and other graduate students.
Kathy Ko | Human Resources Manager | Hospital Authority
Co-curricular Activities and Learning Support
Career Mentoring Programme
Developing and equipping undergraduates for their career is an important goal of Department of Management. In this career mentoring program, we will invite business practitioners who are also our MGT alumni to be the career mentors of our undergraduates. Each mentor will take care of a small group of students. The mentors are expected to share practical advice on job search, career planning, and professional development with the students throughout the academic year. The mentors and the students are expected to have several face-to-face or Zoom meetings throughout the program.
Dining Etiquette Workshop
The dining etiquette workshop is an opportunity to learn and practise good table manners, which are vital to creating the best impression as a professional executive. The workshop is conducted in an experiential learning format by internationally certified trainers.
Overseas Summer Programmes
Students may participate in English immersion courses, which include components such as volunteer placements, homestays and cultural activities in Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the USA. Service Learning participants also provide voluntary services in less developed areas such as the Philippines, Thailand, Mongolia, Sri Lanka and Laos.
Young Scholars Programme
To nurture BBA students to become outstanding future leaders in the region/world, our Young Scholars Programme offers the following:
- overseas exposure during semester breaks, including study trips to renowned companies and universities;
- internship placements in multinational companies to be arranged locally or overseas;
- networking with top business students admitted locally and overseas;
- professional mentorships provided by professors and professional practitioners; and
- cultivation of social responsibility through community services and voluntary work.
Please visit the website for details of the curriculum.