Why Study Information Systems?
Business IS Smart
Amazon, Facebook and Google have propelled business into a world of smart business. Business is made smart with information systems, such as those based on artificial intelligence (AI), big data and cloud services (ABC).
The Department of Information Systems in the College of Business is the largest Information Systems department in Hong Kong and one of the top three in the world for research productivity . The Department is committed to nurturing smart people for smart business with careers of the future.
Technology IS Changing the World
AI, big data and cloud services have played important roles in business transformation today. Together with social networks, 5G mobile, FinTech and other information systems, these technologies are driving business innovations in financial services, accounting and professional services, online services and marketing.
Research IS Driving Innovation
We are among the best in Information Systems in the world. Our faculty members are doing cutting-edge research in information systems for business innovations. Our students are encouraged to conduct undergraduate research with faculty members in the Department.
Practice IS Useful
Our students will have opportunities to experience business in real-world contexts with leading business executives from our EMBA programmes and alumni.
The Department provides Smart Business Scholarships to recognise students with outstanding performance and support them in regional and international business competitions. Our students make business smart with information systems.
Information Systems IS Smart Business
The Department offers new and comprehensive information systems courses to meet the rapidly changing nature of information technologies such as social networks, mobile apps, AI, big data analytics, cloud services and FinTech. Our students will not only be equipped with the latest knowledge but also with communication and project management skills and professional attitudes. Our graduates will be well prepared to help companies make business smart with information systems.
Today IS Good
When you are admitted to the Department of Information Systems (options: BBA Global Business Systems Management, BBA Information Management), you will study general BBA courses in year one. At the end of year one, you can choose to major in either BBA Global Business Systems Management (GBSM) or BBA Information Management (IFMG).
Tomorrow IS Even Better
Our graduates start their careers as management trainees, business analysts, data scientists, system analysts and programmers in global banks, consulting and technology firms, such as HSBC, BOC, PWC, Apple, Alibaba, Facebook, Google and IBM.
 Research Ranking of the Association for Information Systems (www.aisnet.org)
Why Information Systems at CityU College of Business?
- Students will have a choice to choose from one of the two majors, i.e., BBA Global Business Systems Management (GBSM) and BBA Information Management (IFMG) by the end of year one.
- To support the Government’s Smart City Blueprint for the better future of Hong Kong, the BBA Information Management aims to equip students with competent knowledge and skills of applying innovative technologies for business innovation, our students change the way of doing business in Hong Kong and the region.
- The Department of Information Systems is committed to nurture smart people for smart business, with careers of the future. We support our students to choose a second major in the College of Business.
- College of Business is among the top four business schools in Asia (https://www.cb.cityu.edu.hk/aboutus/recognition/rankings/)
- Entrance scholarships up to HK$265,000 are available for elite students (https://www.cb.cityu.edu.hk/ug/admissions/apply/scholarships)
- Overseas exchange and summer programmes are available in over 200 partner universities around the globe! (https://www.cb.cityu.edu.hk/ug/admissions/exchange)
- Over 80% of students secure local and global internship opportunities in areas including banking, accounting, IT and consulting.
Entrance Requirements for JUPAS Applicants
|JUPAS Catalogue No. and Title||
Minimum Level Required
|Eng. Lang.||Chi. Lang.||Mathematics||Citizenship and Social Development||
Department of Information Systems (options: BBA Global Business Systems Management, BBA Information Management)
|Level 3||Level 3||Level 3||Attained||Level 3||Level 3|
- Mathematics extended modules (M1/M2) and “other languages” (at grade E or above) can be used to meet the elective requirement. If students take both M1 and M2, they are counted as one subject only.
- Applied Learning subjects are not counted as elective subjects.
- For details of the alternative Chinese Language qualifications acceptable by the University for Non-Chinese Speaking (NCS) students, please visit http://www.admo.cityu.edu.hk/jupas/entreq/bd.
For details, please visit: https://www.cb.cityu.edu.hk/ug/admissions/apply/requirements
Co-curricular Activities and Learning Support
Regularly, we organize “Internet+” study tours to visit new economic companies like AAAF (Amazon, Apple, Alphabet, Facebook) in USA and BAT (Baidu, Alibaba, Tencent) in China. We are committed to nurture smart people for smart business, with great careers of the future.
Please visit the following website for the detailed curriculum:
- GBSM 2023 Suggested Study Plan (Please refer to the Year 1 courses)
- IFMG 2023 Suggested Study Plan (Please refer to the Year 1 courses)
Major Allocation Arrangement
JUPAS applicants will be considered for admission to first-year studies at the Department of Information Systems. Students will enter a major (current major options: Global Business Systems Management; Information Management) after one year of study. The top 40% of students# will have a free choice of majors offered by the Department. The other 60% of students will be allocated a major within the Department, subject to the availability of places and the selection criteria set by individual majors.
# based on the CGPA with no failed grades and completion of at least 30 credit units including College/Department required courses
Ms Tania Yuenkei LAU
+852 3442 8521
Prof. David XU