Why BBA Business Analysis?
The BBA Business Analysis (BANL) programme is designed specifically to meet the business demand for deep data analytical skills and to provide a comprehensive training in business analytics, statistics, business intelligence, risk management, marketing analysis, business knowledge and communication skills.
- 學習如何利用SAS, SPSS, Excel VBA等工具管理及分析龐大企業數據
Why BBA Business Analysis at CityU College of Business?
- BBA Business Analysis programme offers you offers you:
- Learn business analytics, statistics, business intelligence, risk management
- Learn how to manage and analyse huge volume of business data using SAS, SPSS and Excel VBA
- Obtain internationally recognized professional qualifications including SAS Certification and Financial Risk Manager (FRM) Examinations
- Prepare you for a statistical, analytical and managerial position in the financial, commercial, and government sector
- Opportunity to apply for admission to the Joint Bachelor's Degree Program between City University of Hong Kong and Columbia University* (http://gs.columbia.edu/cityu-hk/)
- College of Business is among the top four business schools in Asia (https://www.cb.cityu.edu.hk/aboutus/recognition/rankings/)
- Entrance scholarships up to HK$265,000 are available for elite students (https://www.cb.cityu.edu.hk/ug/admissions/apply/scholarships)
- Overseas exchange and summer programmes are available in over 200 partner universities around the globe! (https://www.cb.cityu.edu.hk/ug/admissions/exchange)
- Over 80% of students secure local and global internship opportunities in areas including banking, accounting, IT and consulting.
BBA BANL graduates are prepared for statistical, analytical and managerial positions in financial, commercial and government sectors.
Entrance Requirements for JUPAS Applicants
|JUPAS Catalogue No. and Title||
Minimum Level Required
|Eng. Lang.||Chi. Lang.||Mathematics||Liberal Studies||
|JS1026 BBA Business Analysis||Level 3||Level 3||Level 3||Level 2||Level 3||Level 3|
- Mathematics extended modules (M1/M2) and “other languages” (at grade E or above) can be used to meet the elective requirement. If students take both M1 and M2, they are counted as one subject only.
- Applied Learning subjects are not counted as elective subjects.
- For details of the alternative Chinese Language qualifications acceptable by the University for Non-Chinese Speaking (NCS) students, please visit http://www.admo.cityu.edu.hk/jupas/entreq/bd.
For details, please visit: https://www.cb.cityu.edu.hk/ug/admissions/apply/requirements
Summer Internship Programme
Many of our students are able to find summer internship, either by themselves or through our referral, in various industries. Below are some sharing from the students:
Fred Chan (Intern in DBS Bank)
Hello, I am Fred. I have worked in the Development Bank of Singapore (DBS) since August 2013. My main duty is to analyse products and produce accurate reports.
How can I find this internship?
The department already has a long-term relationship with DBS, and cooperates with DBS to set up this internship programme every year. If DBS has an internship vacancy, they will contact the Department, and students will then be invited to take part in the programme. The main selection criteria are previous working experience and academic performance (e.g., SAS and VBA).
How does the knowledge learned in the major fit my job?
The knowledge I gained is highly related to my job. In the daily analysis, I mainly use SAS and Excel VBA programming to handle and analyse large amount of data. Those programming skills are our competitive advantage. I also learnt a lot about data mining tools and different statistical models in my major. This is very useful for analysing different structures and types of data in my job.
How can I effectively study a Business Analysis major if I did not study M1, M2, Pure Mathematics and Computer subjects in my secondary school?
I thought the same thing before I studied managerial statistics. In my secondary school I was a science student but I only studied Biology, Chemistry and Physics, which only provide simple Mathematics knowledge. The fact is, there are different statistics and programming subjects in Business Analysis, but don’t worry! We don’t need to know every Mathematics procedure and proof. These subjects mainly focus on application and concepts, so if you try your best you can study and learn very well!
Venita Ho (Intern in Standard Chartered Bank and Hang Seng Bank)
Hello, I am Venita. In the past two years, I have completed two internships, at the Standard Chartered and Hang Seng Banks.
Intern in Standard Chartered Bank
I made the decision to apply for an internship at the Standard Chartered Bank, and although at first I was only responsible for data input, I soon got the opportunity to do data analysis using Excel.
Intern in Hang Seng Bank
I was offered an internship at Hang Seng Bank through our department in January this year. After learning SAS programming in the last semester, I wanted to gain more experience by working in banking companies. I have met new friends during my internship period, and it is interesting that most of them are also MST graduates. This proves that these banking companies are likely to offer jobs to students from our programme. I am certain that our courses provide us with practical skills that will help us in our future careers.
Students are able to obtain internationally recognised professional qualifications including:
- SAS Base Programmer Certification
- SAS Advanced Programmer Certification
- SAS Predictive Modeler Certification
- The Financial Risk Manager (FRM)
Co-curricular Activities and Learning Support
Overseas Summer Programmes
Students may participate in English immersion courses, which include components such as volunteer placements, homestays and cultural activities in Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the USA. Service Learning participants also provide voluntary services in less developed areas such as the Philippines, Thailand, Mongolia, Sri Lanka and Laos.
Young Scholars Programme
To nurture BBA students to become outstanding future leaders in the region/world, our Young Scholars Programme offers the following:
- overseas exposure during semester breaks, including study trips to renowned companies and universities;
- internship placements in multinational companies to be arranged locally or overseas;
- networking with top business students admitted locally and overseas;
- professional mentorships provided by professors and professional practitioners; and
- cultivation of social responsibility through community services and voluntary work.
Please visit the following website for the detailed curriculum:
(Note: The catalogue for the 2019 cohort is for reference only. The 2020 catalogue will be published around July 2020.)
BBA Business Analysis
BBA Business Analysis Facebook Page
Department of Management Sciences
College of Business
Hong Kong Statistical Society (HKSS)
Royal Statistical Society (RSS)
Statistical Society of Australia Incorporated (SSAI)
Undergraduate Catalogue (The catalogue for the 2019 cohort is for reference only. The 2020 catalogue will be published around July 2020.)