Why BBA Business Analysis?
The BBA Business Analysis (BANL) programme aims to develop students’ qualitative and quantitative ability to solve business problems and make decisions through DEEP data analysis. We consist of two study streams:
- Business Analysis Stream
- Provide professional training in business analytics, statistics, business intelligence (big data analysis), risk management, business knowledge and communication skills
- Develop students’ ability to manage and to analyze huge volume of business data using modern computer software which are popularly used in global business world
- Enable students to solve business problems by a judicious application of technical and practical skills
- Enable students to obtain internationally recognized professional qualifications such as SAS certification and Financial Risk Manager (FRM) Examinations
- Prepare students for a statistical and analyst position in the financial, commercial, and government sector
- Data Informatics Stream:
- Provide professional training in data analytics, information management, business knowledge and communication skills
- Enable students to acquire knowledge in two different industries: Management Sciences and Information Systems
- Enable students to obtain international professional qualifications (Base SAS)
- Prepare students to work in the areas which require both data analytics and information management knowledge
Why BBA Business Analysis at CityU College of Business?
- BBA Business Analysis programme offers you:
- Learn business analytics, statistics, business intelligence, risk management, information management skills
- Learn how to manage and analyse huge volume of business data using SAS, SPSS, Excel VBA and Python
- Flexibilities of choosing streams from Business Analysis (BA), and Data Informatics (DI)
- Flexibilities to take a double major in BBA Business Economics, BBA Finance, BBA Information Management (Business Intelligence), BBA Management (Human Resource Management), and BBA Marketing
- Opportunity to apply for admission to the Joint Bachelor's Degree Program between City University of Hong Kong and Columbia University (http://gs.columbia.edu/cityu-hk/)
- College of Business is among the top four business schools in Asia (https://www.cb.cityu.edu.hk/aboutus/recognition/rankings/)
- Entrance scholarships up to HK$265,000 are available for elite students (https://www.cb.cityu.edu.hk/ug/admissions/apply/scholarships)
- Overseas exchange and summer programmes are available in over 200 partner universities around the globe! (https://www.cb.cityu.edu.hk/ug/admissions/exchange)
- Over 80% of students secure local and global internship opportunities in areas including banking, accounting, IT and consulting.
Our graduates are prepared to work in the areas which require data analytics, statistics and information management knowledge.
Summer Internship Programme
Many of our students are able to find internship, either by themselves or through our referral, in various industries. Below are some sharing from the students:
Janice Fung (Intern in PricewaterhouseCoopers)
Hi, I am Janice who took a gap year in 2019-2020 to work in PwC as a technology consulting intern.
I was assigned to several large-scale system implementation projects. As a member of Business Analyst team, I was responsible for consolidating business requirements, developing business process flows, and preparing presentation deck. I was also assigned to write functional specification as well as prepare test cases as deliverables to clients.
Skills that I applied
The most valuable asset that I gain from BANL is the strict logic which is demanded in every job. What seniors appreciate is not only the ability to execute tasks within tight deadlines but also to bring useful insights to the team using a logical mindset.
Edmond Lau (Intern in TransUnion)
I am Edmond. I was the Human Resources Intern at TransUnion in 2019, I applied the position through our department. Human Resources is often misunderstood by merely acquiring labor along with managing payrolls and benefits. Indeed, it also plays a vital role in ensuring high organizational performance with different metrics. Apart from providing logistical support to Talent Acquisition, I was assigned to design and analyze surveys to assess the effectiveness on onboarding programmes so as to improve employee retention. Besides, the skills learnt in spreadsheet programming and VBA courses have also allowed me to facilitate smooth operations in the field of Compensation & Benefits.
Statistics can be used everywhere, and it plays a big role in long-term success. With the comprehensive statistical knowledge and programming skills offered in BANL, I am better prepared to excel across different disciplines in the age of data.
Venita Ho (Intern in Standard Chartered Bank and Hang Seng Bank)
Hello, I am Venita. In the past two years, I have completed two internships, at the Standard Chartered and Hang Seng Banks.
Intern in Standard Chartered Bank
I made the decision to apply for an internship at the Standard Chartered Bank, and although at first I was only responsible for data input, I soon got the opportunity to do data analysis using Excel.
Intern in Hang Seng Bank
I was offered an internship at Hang Seng Bank through our department in January this year. After learning SAS programming in the last semester, I wanted to gain more experience by working in banking companies. I have met new friends during my internship period, and it is interesting that most of them are also graduates from Department of Management Sciences. This proves that these banking companies are likely to offer jobs to students from our programme. I am certain that our courses provide us with practical skills that will help us in our future careers.
Entrance Requirements for JUPAS Applicants
|JUPAS Catalogue No. and Title||
Minimum Level Required
|Eng. Lang.||Chi. Lang.||Mathematics||Liberal Studies||
|JS1026 BBA Business Analysis||Level 3||Level 3||Level 3||Level 2||Level 3||Level 3|
- Mathematics extended modules (M1/M2) and “other languages” (at grade E or above) can be used to meet the elective requirement. If students take both M1 and M2, they are counted as one subject only.
- Applied Learning subjects are not counted as elective subjects.
- For details of the alternative Chinese Language qualifications acceptable by the University for Non-Chinese Speaking (NCS) students, please visit http://www.admo.cityu.edu.hk/jupas/entreq/bd.
For details, please visit: https://www.cb.cityu.edu.hk/ug/admissions/apply/requirements
Students are able to obtain internationally recognised professional qualifications including:
- SAS Base Programmer Certification
- SAS Advanced Programmer Certification
- SAS Predictive Modeler Certification
- The Financial Risk Manager (FRM)
Co-curricular Activities and Learning Support
Overseas Summer Programmes
Students may participate in English immersion courses, which include components such as volunteer placements, homestays and cultural activities in Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the USA. Service Learning participants also provide voluntary services in less developed areas such as the Philippines, Thailand, Mongolia, Sri Lanka and Laos.
Young Scholars Programme
To nurture BBA students to become outstanding future leaders in the region/world, our Young Scholars Programme offers the following:
- overseas exposure during semester breaks, including study trips to renowned companies and universities;
- internship placements in multinational companies to be arranged locally or overseas;
- networking with top business students admitted locally and overseas;
- professional mentorships provided by professors and professional practitioners; and
- cultivation of social responsibility through community services and voluntary work.
Please visit the following website for the detailed curriculum:
(Note: The catalogue for the 2020 cohort is for reference only. The 2021 catalogue will be published around July 2021.)
BBA Business Analysis
BBA Business Analysis Facebook Page
Department of Management Sciences
College of Business
Hong Kong Statistical Society (HKSS)
Royal Statistical Society (RSS)
Statistical Society of Australia Incorporated (SSAI)
Undergraduate Catalogue (The catalogue for the 2020 cohort is for reference only. The 2021 catalogue will be published around July 2021.)