Why BBA Global Operations Management?
The BBA Global Operations Management (GOM) programme aims to enable students to develop student's analytical abilities, problem-solving skills, and technical competence in operations management, operations strategy, and supply chain management in a global context. Many companies are multi-national corporations and serve multiple global markets with products sourced and produced across many continents. In this increasingly interconnected and interdependent global economy, the process of delivering supplies and goods from one place to another is accomplished through technological innovation. The programme provides students with an integrated curriculum combining general business foundation and advanced management topics to prepare them for managerial positions in a global economy. Students will develop a critical appreciation of the roles and impact of operations and supply chain management on the success and growth of an organization. A strategic understanding of how global operations and supply chain, through planning, sourcing, making, delivering, and returning products and services to global businesses and their customers, can achieve competitive advantages. The programme enables students to diagnose operational and business problems, develop and implement solutions for various kinds of multi-national organizations in the financial, commercial, and service sectors.
Why BBA Global Operations Management at CityU College of Business?
- BBA Global Operations Management offers you:
- Develop your analytical abilities, problem-solving skills, and technical competence in operations management, operations strategy, and supply chain management in a global context
- Develop a critical appreciation of the roles and impact of operations and supply chain management on the success and growth of an organization. A strategic understanding of how global operations and supply chain, through planning, sourcing, making, delivering, and returning products and services to global businesses and their customers, can achieve competitive advantages
- Enables you to diagnose operational and business problems, develop and implement solutions for various kinds of multi-national organizations in the financial, commercial, and service sectors
- Prepare you to start career as management trainee, operations manager, operations analyst, project manager, etc.
- College of Business is among the top four business schools in Asia (https://www.cb.cityu.edu.hk/About-the-College/Accreditation-and-Rankings/International-Rankings)
- Entrance scholarships up to HK$265,000 are available for elite students (https://www.cb.cityu.edu.hk/Programmes/Undergraduate-Programmes/Scholarships)
- Overseas exchange and summer programmes are available in over 200 partner universities around the globe! (https://www.cb.cityu.edu.hk/ug/admissions/exchange)
- Over 80% of students secure local and global internship opportunities in areas including banking, accounting, IT and consulting.
BBA GOM graduates are prepared for careers as management trainees, operations managers, operations analysts, project managers, etc. They typically begin in areas such as consulting, financial operations, health care operations, procurement and sourcing, retail management and supply chain management.
Entrance Requirements for JUPAS Applicants
|JUPAS Catalogue No. and Title||
Minimum Level Required
|Eng. Lang.||Chi. Lang.||Mathematics||Liberal Studies||
|JS1027 BBA Global Operations Management||Level 3||Level 3||Level 3||Level 2||Level 3||Level 3|
- Mathematics extended modules (M1/M2) and “other languages” (at grade E or above) can be used to meet the elective requirement. If students take both M1 and M2, they are counted as one subject only.
- Applied Learning subjects are not counted as elective subjects.
- For details of the alternative Chinese Language qualifications acceptable by the University for Non-Chinese Speaking (NCS) students, please visit http://www.admo.cityu.edu.hk/jupas/entreq/bd.
For details, please visit: https://www.cb.cityu.edu.hk/ug/admissions/apply/requirements
Please visit the following website for the detailed curriculum:
(Note: The catalogue for the 2022 cohort is for reference only. The 2023 catalogue will be published around July 2023.)
Summer Internship Programme
Many of our students are able to find summer internship, either by themselves or through our referral, in various industries. Internship provides them an opportunity to gain practical experience and to enhance personal growth. We have received positive feedbacks from many large corporations regarding the performance of our students in the internships. Below are some of the companies or organizations in which our students worked under the internship programme:
Cheung Chiu Keung, Leo (Intern in Hang Seng Bank)
“You can’t put a limit on anything. The more you dream, the farther you get.” – Michael Phelps
I worked at Hang Seng Bank as Chief Administrative Office (CAO) intern under Operations, Services and Technology department. This 5-month internship experience broadens my horizons a lot.
What I learned from Hang Seng Bank that can’t find in textbooks or lectures, so it is a valuable and unique opportunity for me. Although I had felt terrifying and challenging to the projects, luckily my colleagues assisted me with no doubt. I am so glad that this internship broadened my horizons.
Internship program acts as a bridge to connect our career paths, no matter seeking your paths or adapting work pace. How much you gain depends on how much you pay, so my advice to all of you is not to question your abilities and push your limits. If you can dream it, you can do it!
Ma Wing Sin, Eunice (Intern in Esquel Group)
With the vision of making a difference in the world, Esquel cares a lot about the harmonious of environment and people, as well as a sustainable future worthy of appreciation by generations to come.
During my summer internship in Esquel, I was with Technical Development Centre and assigned with a project to promote a new printing technology within the company, which was 3D printing. To be honest, I knew nothing about 3D printing beforehand but I was glad to take this challenge. On the way of organising the 3D printing workshop to colleagues, I did lots of researches and kept myself familiar with this technology by trial and errors. Though I encountered quite a lot of difficulties during the preparation time, I learnt far more than I expected, including AutoCAD and event management skills.
Apart from the departmental duties, Esquel also provided summer interns an opportunity to have a business trip to Gaoming, one of their major factory plants. It was a valuable experience to know how a complete textile manufacturing process was. We even got a chance to assemble a t-shirt using sewing machine by ourselves. The trip gave me a bigger picture of Esquel’s operation beyond my department.
As an innovative textile firm, Esquel does place value on developing new technologies; not only for operations, but also colleagues’ personal development. I appreciate the vision, work atmosphere and more importantly, the teammates’ love there. I would say my last summer has definitely well spent in Esquel.
Lu Chun Yu, Jonathan (Intern in Deloitte)
Greetings! I am Jonathan, one of the many GOM buddies and it is the third month since I have been an Audit intern with Deloitte under their 4-month Spring Internship Program.
Life at Deloitte is thrilling. Working on a project basis, as opposed to a hierarchy structure, we get to meet new colleagues and new clients very often. It is not unusual that we have to face the CFOs and Directors by ourselves alone. As an intern, this has given me an invaluable opportunity to grasp in-depth knowledge and understanding of the different clients’ companies and the industries in which they operate.
“How does Audit relate to your studies?”, you may ask. You may have heard this many times, but operations is everywhere, in our client’s businesses and even in Deloitte itself. The Audit work that we perform everyday requires us to thoroughly understand the way our clients do businesses so that we are able to detect risk of fraud or error and other anomalies. Deloitte, having a project based organizational structure with over 225,400 employees worldwide, also has a unique and efficient operations management practice that is very much worth learning.
There is no doubt that the professional services industry is an intense and rapidly changing environment where you have to be versatile in order to excel. Fortitude is also essential to endure the long working hours. With that being said, this is a place where hard-work pays off and where you can take in and learn a lot like a pool for a sponge.
Co-curricular Activities and Learning Support
Overseas Summer Programmes
Students may participate in English immersion courses, which include components such as volunteer placements, homestays and cultural activities in Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the USA. Service Learning participants also provide voluntary services in less developed areas such as the Philippines, Thailand, Mongolia, Sri Lanka and Laos.
Young Scholars Programme
To nurture BBA students to become outstanding future leaders in the region/world, our Young Scholars Programme offers the following:
- overseas exposure during semester breaks, including study trips to renowned companies and universities;
- internship placements in multinational companies to be arranged locally or overseas;
- networking with top business students admitted locally and overseas;
- professional mentorships provided by professors and professional practitioners; and
- cultivation of social responsibility through community services and voluntary work.
Operations Management Project
Operations Management Project offers a unique opportunity for the Global Operations Management students to participate in real business projects and to apply what they have learned in other GOM courses in solving business problems. Student teams will work under faculty supervision to solve operations management related problems and identify improvement opportunities for both service and manufacturing businesses. They will also gain practical experience in planning and executing a real business project.
BBA Global Operations Management
CityU GOM Buddies Facebook Page
Department of Management Sciences
College of Business
Undergraduate Catalogue (The catalogue for the 2022 cohort is for reference only. The 2023 catalogue will be published around July 2023.)
CityU Scholarships for Hong Kong Talents
CityU Talents Programme