Why BSc Computational Finance and Financial Technology?
The BSc Computational Finance and Financial Technology major has two streams, namely (1) Computational Finance Stream and (2) Financial Technology Stream.
Computational Finance stream is an interdisciplinary stream offering a comprehensive curriculum that covers state-of-the-art training in finance, mathematics, statistics and computer programming. The integrated application of these four areas is in great demand by today’s financial markets.
Financial Technology stream gives students an interdisciplinary education in business, information technology, and innovation by training them in mathematics, statistics, programming, information systems, and finance. The FinTech core courses include blockchain, big data, cybersecurity, regulatory technology (RegTech), Python programming, machine learning, technology entrepreneurship, and Fintech capstone project.
Students from both Computational Finance and Financial Technology streams can apply for admission to the Joint Bachelor's Degree Program between City University of Hong Kong and Columbia University. Upon completion of this joint degree program, students will receive the dual awards conferred by Columbia University and CityU.
計算金融及金融科技理學士課程內有兩個主修專業，它們是 (1) 計算金融及 (2)金融科技。
Why BSc Computational Finance and Financial Technology at CityU College of Business?
- BSc Computational Finance and Financial Technology programme offers you:
1. Knowledge in finance, mathematics, statistics, computer programming2. Exciting career options in quant, investment banks, asset management, algo trading
- Plenty opportunities available for local and overseas competitions and internships, and full support on career development.
- Overseas exchange and summer programmes are available in over 200 partner universities around the globe! (https://www.cb.cityu.edu.hk/ug/admissions/exchange)
- Entrance scholarships up to HK$265,000 are available for elite students (https://www.cb.cityu.edu.hk/ug/admissions/apply/scholarships)
- College of Business is among the top four business schools in Asia (https://www.cb.cityu.edu.hk/aboutus/recognition/rankings/)
Joint Bachelor's Degree Programme
Students have the opportunity to apply for admission to the Joint Bachelor's Degree Program between City University of Hong Kong and Columbia University (http://gs.columbia.edu/cityu-hk/)
Computational Finance stream provides comprehensive training and internship opportunities to prepare students to establish competitive advantages in financial careers such as asset management, investment banking and risk management, as well as further advanced studies.
Financial Technology stream prepares students for the careers in the emerging FinTech industry and business and technology sectors that require solid technology training and finance domain knowledge as well as further advanced studies.
Entrance Requirements for JUPAS Applicants
|JUPAS Catalogue No. and Title||
Minimum Level Required
|Eng. Lang.||Chi. Lang.||Mathematics||Liberal Studies||
BSc Computational Finance and Financial Technology
|Level 3||Level 3||Level 4||Level 2||Level 3||Level 3|
- Besides Category A elective subjects, Mathematics extended modules (M1/M2) and “other languages” (at grade E or above) can also be used to meet the elective requirement. If students take both M1 and M2, they are counted as one subject only.
- Applied Learning subjects are not counted as elective subjects.
- For details of the alternative Chinese Language qualifications acceptable by the University for Non-Chinese Speaking (NCS) students, please visit http://www.admo.cityu.edu.hk/jupas/entreq/bd.
For details, please visit: https://www.cb.cityu.edu.hk/ug/admissions/apply/requirements
Scholarships and Financial Assistance
College of Business Entrance Scholarships for BSc Computational Finance and Financial Technology
|BSc Computational Finance and Financial Technology||Non-weighted JUPAS score >= 30
DSE Math / M1 / M2 /
DSE ICT /
DSE Economics /
DSE English Language >= 5*
|Non-weighted JUPAS score >= 28
DSE Math / M1 / M2 /
DSE ICT /
DSE Economics /
DSE English Language >= 5*
For details, please visit https://www.cb.cityu.edu.hk/ug/admissions/apply/scholarships
Co-curricular Activities and Learning Support
Overseas Summer Programmes
Students may participate in English immersion courses, which include components such as volunteer placements, homestays and cultural activities in Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the USA. Service Learning participants also provide voluntary services in less developed areas such as the Philippines, Thailand, Mongolia, Sri Lanka and Laos.
Young Scholars Programme
To nurture BBA students to become outstanding future leaders in the region/world, our Young Scholars Programme offers the following:
- overseas exposure during semester breaks, including study trips to renowned companies and universities;
- internship placements in multinational companies to be arranged locally or overseas;
- networking with top business students admitted locally and overseas;
- professional mentorships provided by professors and professional practitioners; and
- cultivation of social responsibility through community services and voluntary work.
Please visit the website for the detailed curriculum.
Website of Current Students
Learn more about BSc Computational Finance and Financial Technology students’ curriculum and student activities: https://www.cb.cityu.edu.hk/bsccfft/
|Q.||What are the unique features of this major?|
The BSc in Computational Finance and Financial Technology major has 2 streams, namely
Financial Technology stream gives students an interdisciplinary education in business, information technology, and innovation by training them in mathematics, statistics, programming, information systems, and finance.
Students from both Computational Finance and Financial Technology streams can apply for admission to the Joint Bachelor's Degree Program between City University of Hong Kong and Columbia University. Upon completion of this joint degree program, students will receive the dual awards conferred by Columbia University and CityU. For details, please visit http://gs.columbia.edu/cityu-hk/
|Q.||Do I need to attend JUPAS admission interview?|
|A.||Yes, for shortlisted applicants only, an interview will be scheduled around June.|
|Q.||Can I take a minor?|
|A.||Yes, you can customise your own Computational Finance and Financial Technology study plan with your minor of interest (subject to fulfilling the requirements of declaring a minor).|
|Q.||Are there any scholarships available?|
|A.||The College of Business and CityU are committed to nurturing elite students to become future business leaders. Various scholarships are available; please refer to the following for details:
- CityU Scholarships and Prizes
- College of Business Programme information
- College of Business
- Undergraduate Catalogue (The catalogue for the 2022 cohort is for reference only. The 2023 catalogue will be published around July 2023.)
- Flexible Admission Arrangement
- CityU Talents Programme
- CityU Scholarships for Hong Kong Talents