Programme Aims and Objectives
The MSc in Business and Data Analytics (MScBDA) programme aims to cultivate students with professional knowledge of business data analytics through active learning of the theories, methods, supporting techniques across a wide range of knowledge areas such as applied statistics, big data management, data mining and social media analytics. The MScBDA programme has two streams. A student will be admitted to either the Information Analytics Management (IAM) or the Quantitative Analysis for Business (QAB) stream.
- hold a recognized Bachelor’s degree in any disciplines with the curricula covering appropriate mathematical knowledge.
Selection will be based on the candidate’s academic performance in previous studies, relevant working experience (if any), motivation and potential of the candidate and performance in the interview.
Applicants whose entrance qualification is obtained from an institution where the medium of instruction is NOT English should also fulfill the following minimum English proficiency requirement:
- a score of 59 (revised paper-delivered test)^ or 79 (Internet-based test) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)@#; or
- an overall band score of 6.5 in International English Language Testing System (IELTS)@; or
- a score 450 in the new College English Test (CET6) of Chinese mainland; or
- other equivalent qualifications.
^ Effective from 11 April 2021, the TOEFL revised paper-delivered test is no longer offered.
@ TOEFL and IELTS scores are considered valid for two years. Applicants are required to provide their English test results obtained within the two years preceding the commencement of the University's application period.
# Applicants are required to arrange with the Educational Testing Service (ETS) to send their TOEFL results directly to the University. The TOEFL institution code for CityU is 3401.
In view of the recent development of COVID-19, ‘TOEFL iBT Home Edition’ and ‘IELTS Indicator’, as indicated below, are accepted as equivalent qualifications for the fulfillment of the University’s minimum English proficiency requirement for admission to TPg programmes until further notice:
- TOEFL iBT Home Edition: a score of 79; or
- IELTS Indicator: an overall band score of 6.5
- Database Management Systems
- Data Visualization
- Statistical Data Analysis
- Data Mining
Information Analytics Management Stream Core
- Machine Learning and Social Media Analytics
Information Analytics Management Stream Electives
Complete 15 credits with at least 9 credits obtained from the following stream elective courses:
- Analytical Programming with Python
- Business Data Analytics
- Business Intelligence Applications
- Blockchain Technology and Business Applications
- Information Systems Project
- Innovation and Technology Entrepreneurship
- Knowledge Management
- Management Support and Business Intelligence Systems
- Project Management and Quality Assurance
The remaining credits can be obtained by taking postgraduate elective courses offered by any departments in the College of Business.
Quantitative Analysis for Business Stream Core
- Applied Linear Statistical Models
Quantitative Analysis for Business Stream Electives
Complete 5 electives with at least 4 chosen from the following list:
- Contemporary Topics in Quantitative Analysis for Business
- Decision Analytics
- Managerial Decision Modeling
- Predictive Analytics with Excel and R
- Predictive Modeling and Forecasting for Business
- Predictive Modeling in Marketing
- Project Management
- Statistical Modelling in Economics and Finance
- Statistical Modelling in Risk Management
The remaining elective is a postgraduate course offered by any department in the College of Business.